29 March 2009

It's alive!!! it's alive!!! at least...

it was...

I took Jeremy up on his challenge of making the Bronco II run for under $100. Not a problem. For $13.29 after the initial $75 I had it running.

It seems it may need an in tank fuel pump now. Odd thing about the Bronco II.. the genius engineers at FoMoCo thought it would be a wonderful idea to have not only one, but two fuel pumps for this vehicle. There is a low pressure fuel pump inside the gas tank. It runs about 4-6psi. It's job is to take the fuel from the tank, and get it to the filter. (Side note, my bronco doesn't have the typical inline filter that the books call for. Mine is the canister type. Now I get to return something to Checker.. woo hoo.) The second fuel pump is a high pressure pump. It runs at 70-95psi. It's job is to get the fuel from the filter, to the engine.

Now I can somewhat see the logic behind this. Somewhat. Pumps have the weak link of lift. The more distance they have to suck up whatever they are sucking, the harder the work is. If there is very little distance on the suction side, then the pump can push very far with the pressure side. So I guess they thought if they can use a small low pressure pump to get the fuel to the filter bowl, then the high pressure pump could take it from there, and deliver it to the engine.

There's one problem with that. Every other manufacturer at the time had the brains to put the HIGH pressure pump in the tank. Thus needing only one pump. Am I going to change the set up? I would if both pumps were bad, but since I only have to replace one, I'm going to do just that. Hopefully after doing that I can get it running well enough to drive to the house. That way I'd have all MY tools readily available instead of digging through what tools my brothers have laying around.

It's a project, but it's my project.. and I like these types of projects.... Now if I could only get someone to come build my shed for me... or just do the concrete work.. that'd be enough..

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

GO MacGyver!

Dan said...

That's the same problem I had with my Bronco, Steve. Among others.

I wish I was better at fixing cars.

I wanna see yours all pimped out with Old Man Emu springs, big old tires, and a krylon spray-painted desert camo finish before the year is out. :)

Steve said...

OME doesn't make springs for it.. I'm thinking a mild 2" body lift and yes the rattle can paint camo. I only want to run 30-31" tires. Anything bigger would be a waste for what I do.

Dan said...

Spoilsport. :P